Monday, May 29, 2006

Happy Memorial Day!!

Hi everyone!

Below is some info Trish gave me about the trip to Hardy. She's going to be asking her grandparents about some available weekends. The weekends already discussed on the blog won't work for them.

It'll be a camping trip for the most part. Chad and I are excited about that, but we don't have any supplies. Does anyone know of anyone that we could borrow a tent, etc. from?

Here's the info that Trish sent me:

We could use the place as a retreat, but it would be an outside retreat. Out of respect for the fact that the Big Cabin is my grandparents' house, we really couldn't all impose inside. There IS a wing of the house that includes a bedroom and full bathroom, as well as an extra refrigerator that we could use. But, we would plan most of our meals as sandwiches and cookouts on the grill or bonfire. Which would be great! The 2 or 3 outside cabins (seperate from the main house) that we would have access to all congregate around a large piece of land that used to be tennis courts--so it's large enough and flat enough to be a great communal place. The outside cabins all have a bedroom and bathroom, but as I was talking to Emily and Melissa, the three of us realized that the couples with babies might should have first dibs on these if they needed it. And, Emily mentioned that she and Scott and Scottie are totally fine withpitching tents. These cabins also have a few single beds on screened porches. The rest of us would set up a little "Small Group Village" of a few tents in the tennis courts. Don't get me wrong--the cabins and tennis courts are all right on top of each other--so we would have a lot of togetherness. The only drawback would be sharing the bathrooms, but we can construct signs to hang on the doors (you know, "showering", or "try back later", or even "hold your nose"). It would be great, and the several people that I have talked to are completely stoked about theidea of it being like a free outdoorsy camping trip. The campsite would be free, and we would have running water and a refrigerator (although ALL adult beverages would need to be housed in coolers outside)!!

Trish, will you just post a response to this with the weekends that we should pick from?

4 comments:

monkeymama said...

Rock on!!!Just tell me when and the Mortons will be packed and ready to go. We are very flexible and wouldn't mind outside. We do have a tent and lots of camping gear if we ended up inside. This is going to be an awesome trip! We have been there before and it is perfect(and free!!) Thanks, Amy for coordinating...and thanks, Trish for the offer. Just make sure we stop at the Kum and Go for something!!! I am laughing as I type(dirty mind of a 4th grade boy)

SaraYates said...

Okay, so I am posting without even discussing with the hubby (who happens to be a camping/outdoor freak you might say). I, the city girl, happen to think this is a great idea! The Yates' registered for all kinds of "plush" camping gear when they got married-for 2 room tent, big stove, blow up mattresses! Anyway, we are more than happy to loan out the equipment we have since we have multiples of several things! Let us know about possible weekends!

Tersh said...

Ok-sorry for the late response. I was actually in the middle of answering this on Tuesday when I received a phone call that has since diverted my attention :-) We did go to Hardy over Memorial Day and had a blast. The area looks beautiful, and the river was wonderful---very refreshing! The waterfalls where we hang out and play were great too. The only problem was that the water was flowing so well that hardly any canoers tumped. That is usually very entertaining. There were a few great busts, though. Also, one very drunk group managed to tump a few of their own canoes in the MIDDLE of the river (no rapids around) just through sheer stupidity.
I talked with my grandparents, and they think that it sounds great. There are really only three times that won't work between now and August. Unfortunately, two of those are the times that have previously been mentioned. We have a wedding on the 10th, and can not go out town around Father's Day. The only other time that won't work is around July 1-4. The place will be swarmed with my family, and everybody else on the Hill. So, any other time will be good. I know that the Morton's were really wanting to go, so we will check on William's progress, and see what they think about that.
Also, since I am out of school now (Hallelujah!!), I have a little extra time. I have some great pictures that I will try to either post on the blog, or email out.
I'm sure that between all of us, the supplies will be plenty, and we shouldn't have any problems with the meals!

Tersh said...

And, to echo Angie--the Kum & Go is a must see! They "go all out"!